Service in the House of God

HOME Forums #LetsShare Service in the House of God

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Pastor Myrriam 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

George Sibanda

SERVING THE LORD
    _By Pastor Chris Oyakhilome_

IT’S A JOY TO SERVE THE LORD!
    It pays to serve God. What do you do for Him? How do you serve God? What does the Bible say about serving God? What specifically you do for God?
    In Romans 1:9, Paul says: “For God is my witness, whom I serve with my Spirit in the gospel of His Son, that without ceasing, I make mention of you always in my prayers.
    We are called for a holy and noble purpose! You were put on earth to make a contribution. You were not created just to consume resources; to eat, breathe, and take up space. God designed us to make a difference with our life.
    We were created to add to life on earth, not just take from it. God wants you to give something back. This is God’s purpose for your life, and it is called your “ministry” or service.
    The Bible says in Ephesians 2:10, that you were created to serve the Lord. God has created us for a life of good deeds, which He has already prepared for us to do. In Colossians 3:23, it says; “And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men”. These good deeds are your service. Whenever you serve others in any way, you are actually serving God.
    Pastor Chris tells a story about a Father whose daughter was married to this man. The Father called his son-in-law and said to him: “Listen, I want you to build me a house, the best house in town, and the best house money can buy. He then gave him enough money and told him to build the best house in town, the best money can buy. The son-in-law took the money and went and purchased weak materials, cheap materials, poor materials, and got cheap labor to build the house. The son-in-law went back to the Father and said: I’ve done it! The father-in-law then asked; is it the best house in town? Oh yes, replied the son-in-law. Tremendous, oh yes sir; the best you could have paid for? Oh yes sir! Then, where are the keys asked the father-in-law? The son-in-law gave him the keys and the Father said to him; thank you, for you have done a great job. The father-in-law then said: now, you take these keys, this is your house! I just wanted to do something for you. Instead of the son-in-law shouting hallelujah, he said oh my God with his head down.”
    This is a classic story about how we hurt ourselves. Whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men because the blessings are going to return back to you. The son-in-law who thought he was getting away with deception was hurting himself. He was doing for himself and didn’t know it.
    You were saved to serve God. “It is He who saved us and chose us for His holy work, not because we deserved it but because that was His plan” (2 Timothy 1:9). God redeemed you so you could do His “holy work”. You are not saved by service, but you are saved for service. In God’s kingdom you have a place, a purpose, a role, and a function to fulfill. This gives your life great significance and value.
    The Apostle John taught us, “Our love for each other proves that we have gone from death to life” (1 John 3:14). If I have no love for others, no desire to serve others, and I am only concerned about my needs, I should question whether Christ is really in my life. A saved heart is one that wants to serve.
    Being connected to a church family, you are to fulfill your calling by serving others in practical ways. The Bible says “All of you together are Christ’s body, and each one of you is a separate and necessary part of it” (1 Corinthians 12:27). Remember, there are no insignificant ministries in the church. Some are visible AND SOME ARE BEHIND THE PICTURE, BUT ALL ARE VALUABLE. Small or hidden ministries often make the biggest difference. In my home, the most important light is not the bright light in the dining room but the little night light that keeps me from stubbing my toe when I get up at night. There is no correlation between size and significance. Every ministry matters because we are all dependent on each other to function.
    Today thousands of churches around the world are dying because of Christians who are unwilling to serve. They sit on the sidelines as spectators and the church suffers. They go to church, suck up the air conditioning and heating, enjoy the choir, feed off the Word of God and never participate in the servicing of the temple. They see a piece of paper on the floor and ignore it; they see a brother or sister in need and look the other way; they refuse to visit the sick and shut-in and, they believe that once they’ve paid their sometimes “tithes and offering” they have fulfilled their obligations. God sees everything!
    We are commanded to serve God. Jesus says “Your attitude must be like my own, for I, the Messiah, did not come to be served, but to serve and to give my life” (Matthew 20:28). Beloved, for Christians, service is not optional, it’s not something to be tacked onto our schedule if we can spare the time; but rather, it is the heart of the Christian life. Jesus came “to serve” and “to give” – and those two verbs should define your life on earth. You must be about your Father’s business!
    David was a teenager shepherd boy whose physical appearance showed no special features. There was nothing physically striking about him that pointed to him as God’s choice of a king-elect. But God sees far beyond what man can comprehend (1 Samuel 16:7). Though his actions weren’t always perfect, David’s heart was perfect toward God (Acts 13:22). He served the Lord with a loyal heart.
    To be loyal means to be faithful or steadfast. It means to be devoted to God’s cause. It means the Pastor and the Church can depend upon you. You are not rewarded for your title or position; you are rewarded for being faithful. Are you faithful for your responsibilities? Are you faithful at being on time? Are you faithful in paying your tithes and offerings? Are you winning souls for Christ? Are you faithful? This was the virtue Saul lacked that made God reject him as King over Israel.
    It’s time to examine yourself and ensure your words match your actions and that your actions match the thoughts of your heart in your service to the Lord. Who are you, and how do you do your work for the Lord? These are very important questions you must answer for yourself. You don’t get the results for making a decision – you get the results for doing what you said you were going to do. Only the works we do with a sincere and loyal heart will be accepted when we stand before the judgment seat of Christ; the rest will be burnt because they have no significance before God (1 Corinthians 3:13).
    People are prone to forget God when they are deeply engaged in their worldly employment. Their jobs and businesses come before the Lord. Remember, God is always first! It is He who gives you power to get wealth (Deuteronomy 8:18).
    Let us not be misled by the glittering lights around us concerning the true meaning of success. Success is having God’s “well done”. Are you giving your all to do what he has called you to do? Are you relying on Him and not on your own strength or wisdom? Rejoice, for it pays to serve the Lord!

• #1182 Reply

Pastor Myrriam

Wow I am inspired by this teaching. It has really awoken something in me that I was not aware of. Service to the Lord is most important to our Master. I will therefore serve the Lord with diligence. We are living in the last days, we are the last lap of the relay n they are watching us from the grandstand with expectations. God help us.

Reply To: Service in the House of God
Your information: